Toastmasters is the Solution!

Toastmasters is the Solution!

Do you suffer from glossophobia? As many as 75% of the population suffer from glossophobia. 75% is equivalent to 238 million people worldwide. Glossophobia is the fear of public speaking and this fear can usually be greater than any other fear, including the fear of death. There are people who dread the thought of having to speak publicly; hence, they avoid every situation. Missing these situations cause them not to speak in public. These can usually lead to missing opportunities. 



Let's say that your boss or manager approaches you telling you that you need to give a presentation to a large group of people. What do you do? Are you ecstatic and anxiously waiting for it or is the thought of it something you cannot withstand? You are not alone. There are resources out there that can aid in alleviating the dreadful symptoms of public speaking anxiety.

I know that feeling perfectly well! Whenever I tried, I could feel... my heart beating louder and louder, my breather getting faster and faster, palms sweating and hands shaking... Oh, the nerves! My thoughts would start racing and I would just tremble upon my words! That's how bad my public speaking experience used to be; so, one day, I decided to do something about it.


 

Before I continue on with details, I want to clarify that I am still working towards this fear and I will continue to do so. I am now convinced that there strategies and resources out there readily available that can be used and applicable to our life. 

Do what scares you! Lose the fear of public speaking.

FIND A SAFE PLACE TO PRACTICE.
I could've registered for a public speaking course, but I realized that wasn't an ideal option as it is too time consuming and too expensive. Despite that I have known about Toastmasters since I was 10 years old, I finally visited and joined a Toastmasters club. So far, it has been one of the best decisions I have made. One thing I like about Toastmasters is that I have a safe place to practice. I am in a place with other like-minded people with whom I share the same goals. 

LEARN FROM YOUR PEERS
In a public speaking course, there is an assigned teacher and as students, we work for a grade. We do presentations and then earn a grade; however, I wanted something more. My Toastmasters club is composed of a wide variety of members - from the most experienced super Toastmasters to the newly arrived shy and nervous members. When I recently joined, I was assigned a more senior Toastmaster who mentored and guided me through my first steps as I familiarized myself with the program. I am able to take different meeting roles every week. I can sign up for speaking roles at my own leisure, as well as give and receive feedback for growth from other Toastmasters. Though there's no assigned teacher, I do learn from all of the members in my club as they are a jovial group who willingly collaborate with each other.

SEEK OUT OPPORTUNITIES
Toastmasters is based on a communication and leadership program, in which members complete a variety of speech and leadership projects both in and outside the club. Something else I enjoy about Toastmasters is the opportunities outside my club and the events that District 5 hosts for all clubs. I enjoy meeting and learning from other Toastmasters. If you love speaking and competing, then the speech contests are your place. If you want to focus on developing your leadership skills, then become an officer. Districts hold networking opportunities such as the conferences and leadership institutes. In these places, all Toastmasters come together to know and learn from each other.

DEVELOPING RELATIONSHIPS
February is the month of relationships. We celebrate love and friendship. We all form relationships with work colleagues and in our personal lives. However, we also form relationships in Toastmasters as we learn to know each other. As fellow club members, we listen and support each other.

Ever since I joined Toastmasters, I find that my fear of public speaking is slowly diminishing. Opportunities come, opportunities I will take. I initially joined Toastmasters to help me rid of this fear; yet, I have now different and better reasons why I am still a Toastmaster.  
I absolutely love The Great 108 as the members are a highly energetic group who aid in creating a positive welcoming atmosphere and will do anything to support both current and new members.

Comments